PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is being a pilot still a worthwhile career for newcomers?
Old 19th Jun 2009, 23:55
wakeupcall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is being a pilot still a worthwhile career for newcomers?

Is being a pilot still a worthwhile career for newcomers?

Hi everyone,

I am a 22 yr old wannabe CX pilot, currently done university and applying for the CPP (I am a local HK). I am questioning whether the pilot profession is still worthwhile for young people like me . (Or, should I just keep flying ONLY as a hobby?) I have listed several (monetary) concerns that I have for this profession. (Now, I realize it is hard and stressful to be an airline pilot. This is why I have to make sure the efforts I put in now are worthwhile) So, I hope everyone can give me some help and share his/her opinions. Thanks!

(Note: I did not say I want to be a pilot because of money (clearly...it is not possible). I just want to do what I love, have a loving family in the future, and at least live comfortably (middle to upper middle class..). It is the last point that I worry about. I have concerns about this profession. Keep this in mind when you read the following. When I am 55, it will be year 2042. )

a)The pay (or pay cut)
I did some research in this forum and found out that the CX pay scale has been deteriorating over the last 16 years: from the A scale to the B scale (year 1993) and recently to another confusing pay-scale with RA65. Now, when I look at the numbers of this confusing pay scale, I think they still compare fairly well with other professions out there (although not as many as it used to be). But, how likely is this “deteriorating trend” going to continue overtime? Is this as low as it can go? How likely will another lower pay scale be introduced in 10 years time? A career is around 30 years long, and I would not want to find myself switching out in the middle.

b)Inflation
Again, when I look at the salary of a FO/SFO of this new scale, I still think they are good numbers compared to many jobs out there. But, these numbers will be not be as great in 10 to 15+ years if they don’t keep up with the inflation. My questions are: do you guys get a 2% raise every year? (Just like this year for HKG based staff) If not, how about a bigger % raise every few year? And, how likely is that? Or, does the management simply let inflation deteriorate the living standard of pilots?

c)Bored of flying?
For those working now, do you still love flying? Does the excitement wear off after 4-5 years in the job? How long does it take to get bored (if at all)? Even though I love flying now… but, if the feeling is going to die off after a few years and the pay keeps going down….then I wouldn’t want to be in this profession in the first place… I can just keep flying as a hobby.

In summary, I am questioning whether the pilot profession is still worthwhile for young people like me. It seems like I have already answered my own questions. But, I would like to keep an open mind and see everyone’s opinions. Am I being overly pessimistic? Where can I get more opinions? I used to think that a CX pilot should have a great future with the rapid economic growth of Asia. On the other hand, I am concern about pay cut, inflation, the advent of low cost carriers, and that the future advances in autopilot might take more responsibilities (and more money?) away from the pilots.

Sure, some people might argue I should do what I love for my living. But, there should be a limit. (And, this limit will be different for each person, considering his/her opportunity cost from not pursuing other more lucrative professions.) The LAST THING that I want to have in 10 to 15 + years is to be away from my family 50% of the time while making an undesirable living (and got bored of flying). Sadly, this is already happening in the US at a regional level. (I am referring to the Buffalo Plane Crash this year).

To me, it just seems like this profession is going to attract wannabes, no matter how low the pay will get. Everyone must have dreamed of flying. But, I do respect pilots for protecting passengers’ safety in the air!

Thanks for reading and for your help!
I also welcome PM.

Last edited by wakeupcall; 22nd Jun 2009 at 20:05.