PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hkaoa, See The Writing
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2002, 16:00
dazed_2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality of the situation ....

"Madrabbits" ....

With all due respect my friend, it would appear the chances of you getting your job back are very VERY slim (at best).

The ONLY way a union can be effective is for its members to have solidarity. It HAS to be a "one for all and all for one" sort of mentality. If not, then the organization is, for all intents and purposes, useless. Someone should have pointed this out to the association back in the early 90’s when it started down this road.

If the Cathay pilot group at least had some solidarity, you might have a chance. Cathay employs roughly 1600 pilots, and only about 1000 are members of the AOA. Of course the number of non-members is growing by the day, since the new hires are not invited to join and are being "black listed". It would almost appear that there are some in the AOA leadership who are intent on destroying themselves!

In any event, if you combine the lack of solidarity with the laws in Hong Kong being stacked hugely in favour of the company, then it seems to me evident you are dreaming in Technicolor if you think the AOA can force the company into giving you your job back.

Withdraw the hiring ban, all industrial action, and approach the company with a new (more moderate) leadership from the AOA, and I believe you might see them agree to hire a few of the 49ers back (that’s the best case scenario). If the AOA does not take this position, then they will find a company who continues to hire from a never ending pool of pilots willing to accept positions (ban or no ban), and they will see their association continue to dilute itself into oblivion!

Sorry, but that, I believe, is the reality of the situation.