PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you have a Degree, and do you feel it helped you into your flying job?
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:46
Fonz121

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't have a degree but plan on getting one. I personally don't think a degree helps you the slightest bit in getting an aviation job in this country.

If you have candidate A and candidate B both going for an airline job and candidate A has a degree (in whatever) and candidate B doesn't, then I really don't think it will make a difference unless in the unlikely case both candidates are identical in thier sim ride and they have identical personalities. As these are the qualites from which airline pilots get chosen, not a degree.

If you are going to get a degree for whatever reason don't get an aviation one. Unless you want to be some aviation management type then this may help but these days you would probably benefit more with an accounting degree.

The only reason I can see for getting a degree is to have a backup qualification incase you lose your medical or can no longer fly for whatever reason. Thats why I plan on getting one in a different field in the near future.