PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 16th Jun 2009, 23:50
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
matteolo,

(presuming you're 'fresh CPL', if not, things may be easier for you)

THIS link should give you an idea. As an Italian citizen, you should be fine for any sort of job for, giving you 12 months. Technically, up to 6 months with one employer, but I've heard of some folks not really caring about it.
Fairly straightforward application online, then sending off some docs IF needed.

Being pilot isn't skilled job as per Australian skilled migration regulations/policies. I did it to death with some folks. There's a guy who know of guys who got regular work permit offers from instructing jobs with some schools that don't have many FIs around. Not to be taken as rule and these days it may not be possible, thanks to downturn in recruitment, upward movement etc.

While Australia is known to have given chance to some heli lowtimers without instructing first (bear in mind about 400TT IIRC to be able to instruct, leaving gap between fresh CPL and right to instruct), I think it'd be more likely for some local guys who would be nurtured by the company for long-term job. Not great for WHV holders only.

If you got some spare cash, you could try to do Aus CPL with one of the companies (yellow paint scheme) that does some sightseeing around Ayers Rock with their grads. Not a guarantee though.

If I were you, I'd try New Zealand.
You should be fine with FI rating and 200h TT heli to be able to instruct.
There's one newer heli school that just sorted student visa options for their prospective students, so they should get more custom on top of local guys.
Check out Vertical.
THIS link to NZ govt page would give you an idea. 12 months, technically 3 months with one job.
Beauty of NZ system is that it's not so starchy as OZ. If you get a skilled (not flying) job offer or job itself, residence visa should be paper-pushing exercise. Sure, may not be for you. Dunno.

Being in NZ, you'd get great mountain flying, sling load as part of CPL syllabus, etc. Then you can always go to Australia if you manage to fly a bit/or not. 'Converting' NZ to OZ CPL licences is a bureaucracy. Nowhere near as hassle as getting one of these for the first time (=what I've read researching stuff for past 2 years, check details yourself).