PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The eternal FO
Thread: The eternal FO
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2009, 14:41
Cloud Bunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a really interesting thread and I can understand totally the desires of those who don't wish to occupy the left seat.
Myself, I'm rushing headlong towards the hours required to be considered for a Command Course. Am I going to go for it? No. Not yet anyway. Reasons for this, well I'm okay financially on my salary - not rich but not scraping by, I'm settled at home with the Mrs, home every night and enjoy a very stable roster that lets me plan my life a year in advance or more. If I go for the upgrade, well the money goes up obviously and there for me the advantages cease. I would have to move away from home (most probably to a new country and Mrs' job means she couldn't come), accomodate myself with all the associated costs from my own money, as well as keeping up the demands on the UK house (all of a sudden there goes the increased salary and lifestyle is no better, in fact it's wosre), the roster pattern changes so anything we may have had in the pipeline has to be changed if able etc etc. But also in consideration is the job itself. For me moving to the left seat is a big responsibility and at just under 3000 hours I don't feel experienced enough to take that level of responsibility on my shoulders, my SIM and Line Check grades all say I'm good enough but you also have to be mentally ready for the upgrade. I know loads of guys in my company who are just rushing to get into the left seat as quickly as possible with no care or bother about anything else. And if that suits them thats fine, and if they're good enough they will make it through (plenty don't). Each to their own I guess.