PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380, one more cancellation!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:35
betpump5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Groundloop I think you are being too optimistic and not looking at the bigger picture.

During the heights of a peak season, you may think to yourself that having 2 772 flights is a waste and an A380- would have been better. Lets take 4 777 flights that Emirates fly daily from Dubai-London. You could do this with a A380-900 and a 777-300 and save quite a significant figure.

But very few airlines have this type of scenario and if they did, would it really be economically viable. They would have worked out the cost of having a mixed fleet. Costs in line training from lets say a Boeing to an Airbus. Mixed maintenance facilities. Also there could be a reason why you would want 4 777 flights as opposed to one A380 flight - lets say business travellers for example who prefer the flexibility.

I honestly believe that the A380 will not be as successful as the 747. I think that it is just a little too big.

If you are an airline that does not forecast a constant high passenger load 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, then you have ample aircraft to chose from. 772ER/773ER A330, A345/6.