PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed urgently should i start now?
Old 16th Jun 2009, 09:25
betpump5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to add to desk-pilot and say that the "soom and gloom of BA pilots" does NOT shock me. I am seeing it here in South East Asia and not just with my ex-pat counterparts. I am talking about the 10'000 hour nationals as well.

If you take the basic stages from GA to flying a 747 for example and not take fleet expansion into account, then you need retirement and recruitment from the International Legacy carriers in order for pilots to move up the chain.

What is happening in the SE Asian aviation is as bad as the crash of the 'tiger economies' at the turn of the millennia or even during SARS. Recruitment is hovering slightly above absolute zero. And this is occurring back in blighty as well. This is the reason why 250hr cadets in the UK can not even get any FI jobs - even if they are willing to pay 6K or whatever it is to be an instructor.

Guys, if you are too excited and really want to start training then I won't put you off. You go for it.

BUT

PLEASE PLEASE at least hedge your bets and go for the lowest risk approach. Get Integrated training out of your silly heads (even if your parents are filthy rich - you are just wasting time) and go mod. Get yourself a job and go flying on weekends. It would take you about 3 years and probably very little in terms of loans. You become a pilot with very little debt and life experience. I certainly value that on the FD.

Use your brains kids.