PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you have a Degree, and do you feel it helped you into your flying job?
Old 15th Jun 2009, 05:39
Darkrampage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll jump in here because I am currently undertaking a Uni degree in Aviation.

Very interesting to read the various posts that people have made. One thing that I can immediately see in a difference between degree/no degree in Aviation is that the understanding and depth of knowledge is greater.

For instance if you go through the BAK/PPL book you will get how aerodynamics work etc. etc. but it never delves into the deeper study of aerodynamics. At Uni we have been doing such things as studying the lift equations, drag equations etc. which in my mind gives a greater understanding. One thing that I strongly believe in is that a Uni degree not only is just showing that you have studied something but it shows you that you have a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts, and also that you have the ability to adapt to changes as they come.

Another thing with the Aviation degree is that we study half a year of Maths and a year and a half of Physics. This in my opinion is annoying but also helps people who many not have studied these subjects at High School, especially with many Airlines looking for these subjects.

Finally the second main reason why I personally am completing this degree, funding. Completing this degree at Uni allows me to simultanously have access to government funding (FEE-HELP) allowing me to get all the way to CPL/CIR. The government lends the money to me to do this however it requires me to be passing my University courses with good marks, another incentive to do well.

It may sound as if I am trying to sell the degree's but at the end of the day everybody has their personal opinion, I couldn't be happier doing what I am doing in my life right now

Edit: Oh and by the way Hunter, quality post. I'll be sure to look out for your back to stab at some stage