PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargo pilot life
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2009, 19:05
blueline_climb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't fly medium or long haul cargo, but I do short haul in a turboprop. I really have no complaints other than how it can get boring going to the same 2 cities every night, but the schedule is awesome and flying a turboprop in your sweats and a tshirt is always very comfortable.

My day:

9:00pm: Arrive @ airport. Check weather, notams, make and file a flight plan, load the first batch of freight that arrived in a truck with the loadmaster and other pilot.

9:30pm: Relax, watch tv, have a coffee or some supper

10:00pm: Fax arrives with the total weights for the only 2 cities we fly to. Enter in weight and balance on the OFP, determine fuel load, call the fueller.

10:15pm: 2nd truck arrives with the last half of the load. Load up the aircraft, get a clearance.

10:30pm: Departure time off to the first destination.

12:00am: Arrival into destination, unload freight for that city, reload freight for originating city. Coffee time

12:45am: Depart for next destination

1:30am: Arrival into destination, unload freight for that city, reload freight for originating city. Coffee and snack time

2:00am: Depart for home base

3:30am: Arrival into home base, unload aircraft. Transfer freight loaded into seperate van

4:00am: Aircraft secured, pilots go home. Loader drives van with transfers to the transfer carrier (separate cargo company).

Total duty day: 7 hours
Total flight time: 4.5 hours

Schedule - Monday to Thursday nights