PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you have a Degree, and do you feel it helped you into your flying job?
Old 14th Jun 2009, 10:51
illusion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
A degree may not help you attain or retain a flying job. HOWEVER it will give you options/ choice in life. Unfortunately with the demise of the two airline policy in Australia (good) many of the conditions of service and security of tenature no longer exist (bad).

With a degree (almost ANY degree) combined with industry experience in a regional airline or RPT jet operations, it will open up employment opportunities within the fringes of mainstream aviation eg CASA, ATSB, DOTARS, Airport management etc. So, when you get to the age and stage of wife, kids in high school etc and an airline gives you notice to move somewhere that you do not really wish to be.......or leave............

you may have an OPTION to say NO, I do not wish to move, I WILL leave as I have other options.

A large part of the reason why our terms and conditions are eroding is that MOST in aviation have NO CHOICE but to comply.

Study hard and get a degree, it will be worth gold.