PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you have a Degree, and do you feel it helped you into your flying job?
Old 14th Jun 2009, 10:15
ZappBrannigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a degree in a non-aviation-related field, and I have a flying job. It didn't help me get this job, I kind of fell into it after finishing my CPL/MECIR training - staying utterly professional and keeping my nose clean got me this job. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if my current employer was unaware of my tertiary quals.

I am 101% certain that my degree helped me gain previous (non-flying) employment, and will help me again in the future - and this has nothing to do with what I actually studied. I know for a fact that many employers - and this may or may not include most airlines, I can't give an opinion on that - do like that tertiary qualification.

I don't see it helping much in GA, or the beginning stages of GA. Most light charters operators or similar I've spoken to really couldn't care less if you've got a 5-year double degree in Aviation-related studies - it has no bearing on your worth or quality as a charter pilot/instructor/whatever.