PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDINBURGH
Thread: EDINBURGH
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2009, 11:35
Munnyspinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EDI Emirates & Delta

The rumour about the Emirates - EDI dubai service was based on speculation that the the EDI market would support enough business class pax to justify EDI and GLA services.

As I recall, this was at a time when the Scottish Government's route development fund was still available ( Don't know current status). Given that Edinburgh and Glasgow are only 50 miles apart I doubt whether there is scope for both services.

It is sad but, not unsurprising, that Delta are to quit later in the year but, again, this service was highly dependent on the business community and with tight margins and aggressive pricing by the hub operators I can understand that Delta will be struggling to get the numbers they need. the $/£ exchange rate hasn't helped and I hope that the September cut off will give them enough the inbound summer trade in to encourage them to try again in the future.

The old addage, use it or lose it, never seems to be heeded North of the border. I still see many pax preferring to interline via Heathrow or Schiphol to save a few pounds. Many of them end up routing right back over Scotland to reach their final destination - but a couple of hours later!

I have only been able to use the Delta service a couple of times and it is remarkable the difference in arriving home without having the wait for baggage and an interconnecting flight. Hopefully, when th economy improves we will se more long haul out of both Edinburgh and Glasgow.