PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign Pilots, etc.,
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2002, 11:25
Dudley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read it all and I am amazed by certain comments that some people put here !!

I would like to enlighten a few points :

1. Someone mentioned the fact that many airlines in Britain are owned by foreign countries. I can start a list for you :
BRITANNIA owned by a German Tour Operator,
KLM UK owned by KLM,
Easyjet created by a Greek citizen...
So should Easyjet recruit only Greek Pilots then ????
Or Britannia only German pilots ???????

2. Some UK airline have bases abroad and fly internal routes in other countries (ex : Easyjet in GVA). Should those airlines recruit local people in priority ?

3. About the comment concerning Passengers who supposingly don't like PA with people "with accents" (There are so many accents in the UK anyway). What do you think of British airlines operating internal flights in France, and the "poor" passengers who have to listen to "horrible" PA in english ? (Ex : Buzz, Easyjet...)

4. A lot of airline in the UK operates for Foreign airlines. And therefore are offered business by (dirty ) foreign country (Ex : British European for Air France).

5. If more Brits would bother with speaking other langages, they would probably get more jobs with the like of AF, LH or IB... But unfortunatelly, very few are fluent enough to even consider applying in any of the mentioned countries. Check for example the Air France site, and it is clearly said that to apply, you must be EU Citizen AND speak fluently french

Check http://www.airfrance.com/double6/FR/...?OpenDocument#
(for those speaking french of course).

6. Why airlines are recruiting foreigners ? Because we are in common market in EU and Jobs have to be available to whoever qualify for the Job. There are many Brits working abroad in Europe in every job sectors and it is the same in the airline industry...

And just to wind up some of the people involved in this thread :
I am a (horrible) foreigner from another EU country, I have a UK ATPL and fly for a BRITISH airline. I was SPONSORED by this airline after going through selections against mainly BRITISH people. I have never flown in my country of origin...

Just a little add-on, one of the first action of A. Hitler when he got in power was to secure jobs for Germans only (pure ones)... just a thought...

Last edited by Dudley; 20th May 2002 at 11:58.