PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA premature ADS-B mandate will result in even more pilots losing jobs
Old 10th Jun 2009, 08:49
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OZBUSDRIVER,

Agreed, the 1090ES versus the rest had been done to death, but US based "little birds" tell me there is a possible "re-evaluation" in the wind, seeing that the ATA/NBAA have jacked up at the cost of retrofitting 1090ES/ADS-B, compared to the much cheaper ( for airlines, at least) of UAT or VDL-4 ---- and given most will have to fit VDL-2 for most North America/Europe operations, anyway.

Stay tuned! Howabout ES/UAT Rx/Tx in the one box
For the ground stations, that is already the case, same manufacturer as the ground stations for AA. From ground station to ATC computers, the "system" is agnostic as to whether the airborne end was/is UAT or VDL-4.

If you buy the currently (or almost about to be) available GARMIN GTX 330 with ADS-B option, including antenna diversity, the GPS feed comes from a GDL 90, which currently has a TSO 145A/DO229C gps sensor, but it is Garmin's UAT box, so you are carrying around (in Australia) a dead UAT --- So you have virtually the hardware, at least, to have dual 1090ES/UAT.

All priced accordingly, plus, if you want ADS-B IN, add $$$$ for a compatible box, Garmin 430 up. For reason I do not know, Garmin don't seem to offer a feed from the C146A gps in a 43W/530W.

I haven't checked the latest prices, but last time I did, if you wanted ADS-B IN/OUT, including the 430, as above, you were looking at not a lot of change from AUD$40,000.

The UAT boxes can talk to each other, and we are stuck with having a full function A/C transponder (and in US) so TCAS aircraft can still see "most" aircraft.

Owen Stanley,

Grow up, and learn to read.

Please advise me what ENIGMA equipment I can buy now, at what price, and what are the certification standards, and what guarantees will I have of long term maintenance support.

Not some time in futureland.

All the relevant stuff is all going to be certified and available some time in the future ----- maybe ----- but given my direct experience in this area, maybe not.

Talk is cheap, but certification costs for any kind of avionics is anything but.

Microair have been developing a Mode S transponder for a long time, years so far, with lots of external $$ support, it is still not certified.

Tootle pip!!