PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are all the OAA pilots?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2009, 08:54
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know clanger does have some valid points even though they are expressed from maybe a naive loyalty to their own training choices.

Currently their are very few jobs and the couple of people who I know who have got jobs recently have got them through networking.

OAA are at least keeping the graduates IR's current although with the sheer numbers that will be required over the next 2 years this might prove to be an issue.

How NJE is looking after their cadets is purely down to NJE and thankfully they are getting taken care of.

The opinion that OAA has a world wide reputation that is unquestionable is sadly naive. You will get different opinions from current pilots from historical personal opinions very similar to the views on the MPL. It works on which sector of the industry you are in and when the pilot was trained. In my turboprop world which was never the job of choice for a graduate you never really got to see an Integrated graduate. In the last 3 years I have had 2 FO's who were intergrated trained out of about 40. Alot of small TP CP's won't touch a Integrated bod with a like for like CV. The first choice will be a type rating and then instructor's get the first call.

Views on their flying ability compared to the modular trained guys. None really they did the same daft things as each other. Learning curves are very steep on a manual TP, speed control is always an issue, as well as the lack of SA in the terminal environment. The kids who have been gliding from the age of 15 have a good hand feet coordination and the ex instructors have way more capacity when the wx gets pants. After 300 hours and 800 approaches you wouldn't be able to tell who is who.

In this market is paying the undefined "extra" for the school name on your CV going to help you get that first job. Sorry no it isn't. For the guys coming out of the mill now both modular and integrated, life is going to have to be damage limitation of trying to stay current and working out a method that will make you shine compared to the 1500 other cpl/ir's in the next 3 years until things start moving again.