PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush Pilot vs Airline Pilot
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 04:33
screwballburling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bush pilot, who has been an AG Pilot, even better.

The trouble is today the new breed of airline pilot is a systems operator at best. Not their fault as flying skills in Airlines is well down the list of priorities. they are even discouraged from hand flying now, so no real change of any meaningful practice. A lot, if not all Airline Captains I know would be pushed to do a visual circuit. By visual I mean, by visual references not "VFR on instruments" and no use of stop watches etc. Most airline f/o's I know would be pushed to do a visual circuit, period. An airline pilot today is trained as a "robot" who is unable to function without a set of SOP's etc. yes I am aware of the need for sop's.

The bush/ag pilot, more so the one who has the tail wheel experience knows how to use their feet. Don't try and tell me "but we are talking about big jets here". because that's B/S. same basic principals apply. Next time there is a good x-wind at an airport, position your self in line with the runway and watch. You will soon see who can fly an a/c and who cant. You will also notice who has no f****** idea.

A lot of airline pilots are so short sighted they "look down" on bush pilots. Get a lot of this in GA, when and airline pilot will arrive on the seen and insinuate you lot are a load of "bush pilots". To me that is a compliment.

Just my 2 cents worth, as I have done all three types, using aircraft from Piper Cubs to 4 engined heavy jets, (pic).

Where's my tin hat darling? I'm outta here.

Last edited by screwballburling; 8th Jun 2009 at 04:52.