PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Cabin Crew Service Desk Closed
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2009, 23:18
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Cabin Crew are being distanced even further from their employer.
A remote workforce has just been made more remote and more disengaged.
....the only positive thing about venturing onto QCC/1 were the folks on the Service Desk.

They were helpful ,cheerful and for the most part very professional.

So -WHY-would you make these positions redundant????
Time for the lecture on formal and informal leadership....

My guess is that there are Three reasons these positions were made redundant.

1. They fixed things for people. That upsets the managers who screwed things up in the first place because it shows them up.

2. They were a seen as a barrier to change. Why use QF.com when there are humans to fix things for you? In fact why have QF.com at all. That offends the people who built the software and the Managers who authorised the system. "I will force you to use my system by removing any (better, quicker, more convenient and simpler) alternatives".

3. They are the "informal" managers of the place. They know what is going on and how to make things happen. Formal managers often can't do this and they hate it when someone shows them up.

To put it another way, these girls were efficient, productive and didn't need managing, therefore they were a threat to the hierarchy.

You never thought being good at your job was a sin did you? Think again. In a dysfunctional organisation being good at your job and requiring little management is dangerous. Learned helplessness, continually asking for your managers attention and hanging on their every word is so much better from the managers perspective. You need to be good boot lickers.