PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 00:40
gengis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. LTCs are picked for their well above average ability and knowledge. In my airline they are all within the top 10% (from the Training Manager) they show a CONSISTENTLY higher score than the average line captain in checks.
Pilot Pete: This should be the case universally, but the unfortunate truth is that it is not so in every airline. In some companies that i have been with, one applied for Instructor positions if you were interested in it, rather than being "picked" or "appointed" by Training Dept based on suitability. In my opinion this sometimes (often) resulted in ambitious (but usually unsuitable) people getting the position, while there were many others who could have done the job well who never even applied because they just wanted to fly the line. Case in point - China Airlines (Taiwan). The requirement to apply for an instructor position was 100 hours PIC!!!! I kid you not - so you ended up with guys who had 300 hours out of the flying school then ended up in the right seat of an airliner, sat there for 8 years or so (getting through the system by memorising their way through scripted PCs & PTs <Base Checks & Recurrent training sessions> in which they knew everything & every "emergency" that was going to happen before hand... but never really learning to aviate) and then finally making a command. And a little over 1 month after sitting in the left seat some of these guys would, having clocked their 100 hours PIC, apply for an instructor position and end up doing "training"? This is a fact.

I do not know if Turkish has a similar "system" of instructor selection. But i would certainly be very cautious & hesitant about making the assumption that all LTCs are from the cream-of-the-crop within the "top 10%".

So in a perfect world where all regulators with half a sense of reality would have had something serious to say about such things, you would be right. Sadly, this is not the case.

Last edited by gengis; 4th Jun 2009 at 01:05.