PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding as alternative to Power
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2009, 17:14
ProfChrisReed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put1992, abroad is not necessarily better, partly because foreign clubs which are set up for UK visitors tend to be in the more extreme gliding conditions (mountain flying, long cross-country flights etc.). As someone else wrote, you probably only get the benefit of visiting those places if you're already quite experienced.

I see you're in Birmingham, and if that's England and not Alabama you're within a 1 hour drive of a number of clubs - see "Find a Club" on Welcome to the British Gliding Association.

Most will fly only at weekends and a mid-week day (usually Wednesdays), but some fly week round during the Summer. Of those near Birmingham the closest are Stratford, Bicester (the BGA training centre I recall) and Shenington down the A40, the Gliding Centre as Husbands Bosworth (near M6/M1 junction) and Midland on the Long Mynd. Any of these would be good candidates for learning.

I'd suggest the best approach would be to make a visit or two to likely places (maybe midweek if your'e thinking of doing this intensively, as weekends are much busier and run differently) to get a feel for the club. Chat to the people there, and go for the one which seems most comfortable - some clubs are highly organised, others informal, and you need to be comfortable with your training environment as you'll be doing it by the day.

Of these I'd say Midland at the Mynd is the most awkward to learn at because it's a hilltop site which will present more challenging conditions. On the other hand, once you can fly there the flatland sites will seem easy.

For a club you can fly at once or twice a week until you've learn't (bearing in mind that after 12 years I'm still learning and expect to do so until I stop flying) Stratford or Shenington have a strong club feel. I only know the Gliding Centre and Bicester by reputation, but I'd say those might be the most structured if you want to make a continuous course over some weeks.

Bear in mind that a week would probably get you solo if you already have a PPL, given good weather, but that you need to be rather more experienced before you can say that you're also "qualified" as a glider pilot (see my previous post).

The other advice I'd give is to tell the club that you're a PPL - this will spare you the tedium of basic effects of controls, and will also alert the instructor to the kinds of thing to watch out for (particularly non-use of rudder and flaring too high and too vigorously).

In comparison with power it's pretty cheap to try - Stratford will give you a winch-launched trial lesson for £50, as will Shenington, and the others will launch you by aerotow for £75-£90.