PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding as alternative to Power
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 23:55
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boofhead: As others have said, you may need to look around. I did also mention that gliding is time intensive - the waiting around to flying ratio is not so good, which is the main reason I fly mostly powered these days. first love would still be gliding in many ways. Shame on those concerned for venting on a young one - waiting around is frustrating, but even so. Remember however, that generally gliding is run as a club - one cannot turn up and play, one has to take part in all the other stuff that facilites everyone flying - wing running, fetching, etc.

She will still be fitting a lot more flying into less hours in the air, and compared like for like (to hiring from a school), I certainly found it cheaper. And yes, it sounds like she's at the most frustrating part - between early solo and cross country is a pain. Anything will soar however, even the venerable K13's, arguably they'll do better than the modern glass types. Where the older types fall short is when trying to fly faster (i.e. go somewhere in a hurry).

Now to the landings: Approach speeds are usually in the 50's (knots), stall speeds in the 30's, and landing distances in tens of metres. Gliders rarely constrain themselves to runways either. It's bad etiquette to overfly a landed glider unless necessary, generally we go to one side or the other. There are actually rules (IIRC you go right of a landed a/c until there's no more room on the right, but it's been a while).
My point is it may look chaotic, but if you're inside the system, it's predictable, and not half as mad as it may appear to someone who's used to dealing with heavier, stubby winged aircraft, and their attendant performance / constraints

Lastly, a little teaser; in gliding terms a heniously expensive holiday - about 1000ukp for 15hrs sat in a nice duo discus with an equally nice chap in the back to keep me out of trouble (necessary given the environment)... everything thrown in, oxy the lot. Imagine sitting at 15,000, perfectly still air, eerie silence, looking at this: