PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida's pilot factory
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2009, 03:10
Gillegan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this thread is veering off target. The question isn't whether low time pilots with GOOD training can adapt to airline operations but whether these so-called "pilot factories" really provide that "good training". The airline that trains the ab-initio pilot has a vested interest in seeing that their pilot is well trained. Even in the era of the bean-counters, I suspect that most of those carriers endeavor to do a good job training.

On the other hand, outfits like Gulfstream might have other motivations. Once someone who has paid for their training's checks have cleared and they are through training, Gulfstream really doesn't have that much of an interest anymore. To me the pertinent questions are:
  1. What happens and who pays when someone cannot perform to the "required standard" within the programmed amount of training?
  2. Does the answer to #1 influence the outcome of any checks?
  3. What extra training do the captains receive who will be flying with these "students"?
  4. What are the future implications for our profession (which I would still like to believe relies on skill and competence) when someone with "deep pockets" can advance beyond someone who has that skill and competence but doesn't have the money?
There have been some startling accidents with some Gulfstream "graduates" at the controls which really make me question whether outfits like them should be shut down for the public safety.