PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FUEL EMERGENCY at Dubai airport
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2009, 17:07
Panther 88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cavnotok, You are still missing the point. You are blaming pilots for operational inadequacies of our operation. EK flight plans you for what they deem is appropriate fuel. Supposedly they have looked at all factors for your destination and historical data with regards to wx and delays. If the flight planning is accurate, one should never need to take extra fuel, unless something is unusual in the air. So is that the case? You tell me. If you are adding fuel, even a ton or two, then the flight planning falls short of being ....(fill in your own word).

Now with regards to experience. My experience, all 30plus years in a cockpit tells me that the flight plan I am given should be accurate and correct. Is that the case here? Secondly, I know a number of captains that have been called in to explain their fuel additions. Thirdly, why is there even a commit policy at all. That tells me that the desk sitters want us to fly around with minimum fuel and land at the hub, not divert if the wx is good. Fourth, imagine being called into the office to explain your emergency call when you landed (barely) above FR. The reason we don't have evenings like the other night is because most everyone is carrying more than what is deemed on the flight plan, because none of us want to be put into that box. But if you regularly follow our fuel guidelines to the letter, trying to be the good soldier, you will be diverting regularly-but then why didn't you "commit".........it goes on and on.

We agree that commanders need to be commanders. No arguement there. I am saying that the company is putting you in situations that one does not need to be put in. YOU as the commander have to mitigate the situation. The operation here is at fault, not the LHS. I will ask again, how often at your previous airlines did you ever land with "fuel qty. low" lights glaring you in the face? But if you adhere to the fuel policy, as written and as operated" that will be a fact of life here. Have at it son, take the fuel they give you and "commit". The fact of the matter is, you shouldn't have to worry about it. At every other airline I have ever flown at, when you hit reserve fuel-you are gone man. Done, no turning back, no commit bs, no "you're number one now"....you are done. That's not how it is here. Commit, commit, commit.......

I just looked up the actual meaning of commit:
Commit v. (committed, committing) 1. carry out a crime etc. 2. pledge to do something. 3. entrust; send to prison or psychiatric hospital.

No more commentis needed.