PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FUEL EMERGENCY at Dubai airport
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2009, 16:46
leftseatview

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
incoming but friendly....

i agree with NO LAND 3,
as i see it there are 3 options...

1) Carry the extra holding fuel that you need, BASED ON a) a good understanding of the local peak traffic situation(after all DXB is EKs home base,and they should have some idea about what happens there everyday)
b)Mention obscure/concealed notam/AIC.
Realistic extra fuel uplift based on above, is/should not be questioned by any mangement.

Some times a strict fuel uplift policy is actually based on the understanding that the occassional diversion might actually take place....but the overall savings in reduced fuel burn for the entire fleet easily offsets that cost.

2)Hold till you get to your MDF(min diversion fuel) and then push off to AUH or wherever, with the minimum of fuss.
Rest assured that if enough such diversions happen the company bean counters will tweak up the fuel uplift (Which makes me wonder if this event was a "concerted action" to acheive that objective)

3)Do as NO LAND 3 suggests.
i suspect that the only problem with this, is the reluctance to accept the very faint possibility of ending up in SHJ/RAK/FUJ( " GET-HOME-ITIS" is perhaps understandable after a longish flt)

Declaring all kinds of emergencies might be OK as per company SOPs,but i think it just makes for a "My problem is now your/everyones problem" solution.