PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FWZ Flt Planning System
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2009, 11:44
Navguy74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FPL Systems

Gents,

My experience is the our friends from Frankfurt have a fairly sound system built on old technology (INGRES) however they proclaim that they will update to a more user friendly IT system such as Oracle soon. For those who don't know, INGRES turns an emulated system, such as the ol' EDS, into a psuedo Wndows based envornment - and it is pretty clunky to use.

Their MTT (min time tracks) work well so long as their database guys are on top of NOTAMS and your own back office folk (many of them) keep the company data current. As far as optimisation is concerned, I would argue that due to the ATC environment that we find ourselves, ie- different everywhere, it is very difficult for a system to calculate a 100% optimised route. However, again, this system does it OK - but at a price.

My recommendation, having used and seen may systems, is Sabre. In basic terms, it's an updated version of EDS using a pretty nice GUI and it optimises well. It can use any 424 data you like but will need a team of guys to keep it clean. Of course this depends on your area of coverage/operation.

As far as FW-Z goes, I must admit I have not seen it but I have heard good things from users and administrators - but it does come at a price, much like Lido.

My advice is - if it doesn't feel right when you're getting the sales pitch, it probably isn't!!

Good luck.