PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida's pilot factory
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2009, 21:27
DA50driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA vs. JAA

Please keep in mind that most pilots in the US have university degrees as well as the flying experience(not all, but a good chunk). It makes for a better rounded individual in the long run, and I don't know of anyone in my circle of friends that studied the answers only to pass the written tests.

I think a big part of the problem is the quickie schools. I spent a good chunk of my life at the airport learning to fly over a span of approximately 5 years. I learned more listening to the old timers than any textbook or King video could ever teach. I spent a year flying freight in icy conditions single pilot. Without the old guys advice I would be dead.

I also spent some time at one of the big Aviation Universities in the northern US. It was the blind leading the blind, 300 hour pilots imparting their wisdom to other students and instructors.

I would suggest that we set a higher standard for our profession. Require a 4 year university degree in something besides basket-weaving. In addition there should be a minimum time spent in training that will allow people to actually absorb the knowledge required, as opposed to rote memorization.

Finally I think we should do away with the uniforms. That would eliminate all the attention seekers that enter our business just because they like the glory walk through the terminal. (They haven't realized that most people snicker at them behind their backs. The public has figured out that teenagers at McDonalds makes more than you. Not much glory left).