PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2009, 08:48
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC & all that goes with it....
It's the same old chestnut resurrected yet again. It's a pity the old thread gone as I posted c.2 years ago that the only real possibility of a commercial service to NYC was to interline via NCL & EK, only to be slated at the suggestion. Going forwards all this creates is fodder for further debate on a tennuous subject that really is going nowhere until there is an ecconomic upturn.
GrahamK Never mind ATA, what about TWA who operated a series of flights for Jetsave to NYC in the 70's with 707's.
Interestingly the observation that these "holiday flights" by either ATA / TWA were successful is difficult to support given that they operated only for short periods. When one puts into context that not only were they operated in the peak holiday period, but at a time when alternatives to NYC were much more limited than now, then it is clear that the market may not be as strong as some suggest and on a commercial basis requires considerable support of business pax & onward connections. Presumably this realisation ultimately deterred AA.
On anther "tack" the choice of existing regional connections to NYC are actually quite good from NCL though whether AMS, CDG or LHR they all have their good & bad points but in the main it is only the extra journey time c.2.5 Hrs that is the real issue.
But I return to the fundamental factor "Choice" & often when I travel I need to be at a particular place & time in the US & at best it may simply be down to good fortune if introduced NCL-JFK offered the best fit. Simply put a majority of travellers to US from NCL will need to make a connection either in Europe or the US to get to their final US destination & NCL-NYC being only one sector, then the percieved market needs to looked at in great detail