PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA premature ADS-B mandate will result in even more pilots losing jobs
Old 29th May 2009, 06:34
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
AirNoServicesAustralia, you have said:

Dick, you need to see the writing on the wall, ADS-B gives so much, and saves so much cash all around, it is the future …
If the mandate will save more money than it costs, it has my total support. All we have to do is a cost benefit study that shows this. Not a cost benefit study that shows the cost saving of removing the radars when we are not going to remove them.

Just as I simply don’t believe the $42 billion it is going to cost Australia to wind out a higher speed internet service will be cost effective, I have great difficulty in believing that rushing into an ADS-B mandate 7 years ahead of the USA will be cost effective.

However I’m willing to be convinced. I’ll become the greatest supporter of Australia leading the world if it could be shown that there is a one cent greater benefit than the cost.

I love technology. I have the latest technology in all of my aircraft and at the present time I am negotiating to get the CJ3 upgraded to ADS-B out. What a nightmare! Every time I talk to Collins they have a different figure and a different explanation.

The reason I’m updating to ADS-B early is not because I believe it will save me money, it is just that I like the latest instrumentation and I can afford safety benefits, even if they are not cost effective.

The rest of the industry may not be the same way. There are some companies that are right on the edge, and putting in an extra $100,000 of expense will normally encourage the owner of the aircraft to ship it over to the USA where there is another 7 years of life.

Show us a genuine cost benefit study. If it is positive, you have my support.