PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida's pilot factory
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 18:52
act700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigGrecian, before you get all worked up about the FAA's training standards, hold your horses. Caus what I've seen here in Euroland is plain scary! I mean I'm scared $hitless about "what" (and I mean pilots) has been certified or allowed into the sky by JAA. And I've had plenty of sphinxter tightening experiences flying freight all over the place, N.America and Europe.

Having had the (mis) fortune to experience both systems, I can only say the the Yanks approach is a practical one, one that will save your a$$ one day, one that will come in usefull.
The JAA way is, that you can explain, draw, graph out, and formul-ate everything in the previous sentence! Doing it, however, well...
FAA flight training is a lot tougher than here. That's a fact.

FAA oversight, that's another thing, caus the "money talks, bs walks" principle applies (a lot).

Bottom line is, Airmanship is dying, everywhere, faster here in Europe than in the US.
Why do you think airplane manufacturers are building these idiot proof/computerized airplanes? (I'm not trying to start an Airbus is crap debate)

Uncle_Jay/ion_berkley: I agree with the basic trainer theory, as in flight instructing. That's where you "confirm" your basic skills.
I don't know if it would be appropriate to put a hard number on this prerequisite experience, before moving on to an airliner. Remember, quality over quantity.
Flying freight would just be bonus.

As far as financial constraints; thousands of pilots have climbed the ladder in the US system and been fine. It's called paying your dues. In fact, that way, you appreciate what you have achieved. I don't regret it at all.

What is really annoying is listening to these Euro-wonder pilots whine about how bad they have it.
How freaking bad can it be when you get into an airliner with that whopping 250 hours? Oh, right, you had to go throught that rigorous MCC training.