PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 13:47
L2driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noodles:
An oil operator carrying passengers to a rig cannot operate so poorly that it could affect the basic fatigue life, especially in a modern aircraft. The S92 has only 7 parts that have any fatigue life.

You are a very self confident person aren't you? In this case you don't know what you are talking about. The company I worked for operated the 92 at a slower cruise IAS than our competitor, and they had a lot more cracks in the airframe structure than we had and have. The reasonfor the higher IAS (Sikorsky figures) was that their contract with the oil company dictated a shorter sector time than we wanted to offer (shorter flight time, lower costs), so they won the contract. How is that for safety concerns in the business??

Anyway - don't put people down when they have legitimate concerns of the machine they are forced to sit in.
I have been in the offshore business for more than 30 years and I understand Max very well.
I have also been a test-pilot for almost the same number of years too, working closely with Part M people so don’t tell me vibration is not a factor in airframe (and possible other components) fatigue life, regardless what the OEM's say.
I am not suggesting that the oil filter studs broke because of vibration, but let people express their concerns without hitting them on their head.