PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch -2
Thread: Monarch -2
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009, 13:00
al446

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TartinTon & CSman

I have never considered myself a 'Scargill throwback', I thought then as I do now that his tactics were wrong but even Iain McGregor has admitted that ultimately Scargill was right. It has also emerged recently that Thatcher was on the verge of conceding, it was only certain Tory grandees who cajoled her into not doing so. But that is history.

You are correct, I am not the MD nor have I had a look at the books, have you? One can only go from outward appearances and Monarch seem to be doing very well, comparitivly (please note), expanding fleet, fleet renewal etc. If it was your neighbour you would think he had come up on the lottery.

As I stated, it is all too easy to cry 'Hard times' and tell those with the begging bowl to go away, ignoring the rise in cost of living, however companies do make money even in a recession, some do very well out of it and they just happen to be the lower end of the market - step forward Monarch. I stand to be correct but I don't think EZY or Jet2 have slipped into loss, I will ignore FR who screwed up the fuel.

As to Unite's actions, as far as I am aware they have not said they WILL ballot for action, indeed it is every T Unionists desire to avoid strike, that is why negotiations are sought but neither can they ignore companies saying 'Go away, we're not talking, we're skint'. As has been rightly pointed out, no-one has seen the books.

So this moderate, non-Scargillite T Unionists stands by what he posted.

CSman, you state you fought in a certain time and place. I am presuming you chose them, perhaps this generation should be allowed that same luxury or the option to reject it without a previous generation shouting advice, or otherwise, from the sidelines. And I write that respectfully.

Could I also point out that a company saying they are skint is a company I would have second thoughts of booking tickets with.