PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self sponsored Type Rating and job offers
Old 28th May 2009, 06:52
kwachon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shame this thread seems to have descended in a pissing contest between everyone and Flintstone. I have my own opinions and have made them clear.

hawker750 made a good distinction that seems to have been lost along the way in this thread, If you have 3000 hours of turboprop time in an aircraft that does not require a type rating, then getting a type on one (Turboprop) that does is a good move in my opinion. It consolidates your time and gives you better exposure to heavier aircraft of that ilk to move up to.

Where I think it is wrong is when someone who has 3000 hours turboprop time goes out and pays for an A320 type for example with no jet time, sheer waste of money if you ask me, 99% of companies will not hire you, now if you flew a C90 King Air for example for that 3000 hours and got a type on an ATR, then the previous turboprop time would work in your favour and you would have a great chance of moving up.

When it comes time to move up to say an A320 or 737, then you will have been exposed to the airline enviroment in all its glory and will know in advance what the flying is going to be like, the type of aircraft will be a second learning curve which should be easier because you will have the knowledge of how it is to be utilized in operation. There are companies that will help you down this path and yes, it does work quite well.

KW