PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self sponsored Type Rating and job offers
Old 27th May 2009, 23:47
Phil77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a feeling you guys only option is to agree to disagree...
The problem is, that there are advantages and disadvantages to both sides, even from an operators standpoint!

The following happened to a US company a friend works for (for confidentiality reasons I leave the specific types out):
- Co-Pilot (it escapes me how many hours he had - I believe fairly low) got hired, was sent to FS for a TR in a heavy jet - he left the company 4 weeks(!) later.
- Crew (experienced) got hired, already typed in the aircraft. I don't know how, but they bulls**ted the owner into taking his heavy jet elsewhere - that too happened only a few weeks after they started (and stupid me thought the industry is too small to pull a stunt like that ).

Now you could argue that the employer must be reason - I assure you that is not the case.

All of the above certainly does not address the moral issues raised here... I'm with SFLY on this one - he needs to support his family. Even if he claims, that out of sheer loyalty to his fellow pilots he never thought about self funding his TR to get better chances in 18 month - in reality or imaginary - I applaud him that he was apparently able to explain that to his wife and kids!
My wife would probably be less understanding to starve for the greater good