PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2009, 22:26
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly, so my point is if your machine is set up properly then, in my experience ,the vibration in the S92 is no worse than any other aircraft, infact I find it a more pleasant experience than the 225.
NST, my experience of the vibration level of the S-92a is that there is significantly more vibration present in comparison to the Puma family, S-61, S-76, and the old Tiger model that Bond used to fly from Aberdeen back in the early 90s. None of these helos had anti-nodal servos to my knowledge. I've never flew in a 225 so cannot comment on that model's vibration levels versus the S-92a.

I recall earlier posts on this thread commenting on the S-92a vibration issues, mostly blamed on helo weight and 4-rotor design. There have been other good points raised recently such as the use of the aux fuel tanks, payload, flying at max. altitude to improve fuel efficiency etc. over here in NL.

Are we pushing this helo past its design without even realizing it?

Is there any conclusions from HUMS data wrt. variance potential in S-92a vibration levels with AVS on/off, full payload, aux tanks in/out?

When will the TSB release a preliminary report on the stud failure mode?

I suppose being a technical guy I'm looking for a technical explanation and solution. Everything is fixable given the right tools/resources.

Max