PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All BA Staff to take 2 weeks unpaid leave
Old 25th May 2009, 08:37
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirwa69,

I can only assume you have acquired an E-Mail to a BA outstation or somewhere similar where this sort of thing can happen.

I have not heard, seen, read, found anything along the line of what you claim. Unpaid leave has been banded about for the last 12 months on a purely voluntary basis. With Voluntary redundancy in the offing I would be very surprised if BA wanted to have half its pilot workforce off over the summer whilst they try and rebuild the financial wreckage.

As to the numbers, LH posted a large loss which runs calendar year thus doesn't include the three months Jan-Mar. Likewise AF/KLM, Singapore etc. BMI is in a terminal state grasping hold of the LH takeover lifeline. Virgin has implemented CC and FC redundancies and, being a private company, doesn't have to release figures but the action speak louder than numbers.

It will be an interesting summer, and a far more interesting winter but this situation is affecting ALL European carriers. It's just a shame that the good 'ol American anti competition laws don't include permanently bankrupt American carriers flying the Atlantic routes for the past 8 years. Level playing field? More like a cliff.