PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2009, 13:02
Lord Bracken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The oldest 747-400s in the fleet are approaching 20 years old (delivered in 1989 onwards). The youngest 777s are approaching 10 years old. Everything else on longhaul is somewhere in between. Now, unlike an accountant I don't have a problem with old aircraft per se as long as they are well looked after - historically this has always been a BA strong point however I think in recent years it appears that general smartening up of the cabin seems to have taken something of a back seat. And while New Club World is a very nicely designed product, it's pretty flimsy and I doubt will be able to last very long.

The biggest issue BA passengers have with BA is the continued erosion, small cut by small cut, of service standards and amenities on board the aircraft which all add up to a negative impression: not offering cheese and dessert on CW flights (either/or); removal of Port from shorthaul CE; no choice of hot dish on Band 3 CE flights in summer (one hot, one cold); no hot food at all outside breakfast on Band 1/2 CE flights; "Extended breakfast" and "Afternoon Tea" on CE flights which are the most mankiest, laughable excuses for airline catering I have ever seen; no sandwiches only birdseed on UK domestics at the weekend; no decent food available on Club World Sleeper Service flights (some of us don't have time to eat in the lounge); reductions in the Club Kitchen offering; shorthaul champagne is now Pommery when 5 years ago it was Piper Red; removal of converted seats in CE so they're now the same as Y...it just goes on and on.

Yes, BA are losing business passengers due to the downturn, but they're also losing them because it's getting harder and harder to justify the cost of J when you consider the benefits received (especially in Europe).

Last edited by Lord Bracken; 23rd May 2009 at 13:48.