PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:13
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a lot of hysteria on here at the minute. Even in short haul, the majority of the fleet, by a long way are 21st century built Airbuses. The B757s are being grounded, the B734s at LGW *may* not even be replaced, the B767s on short haul will soldier for some years more. However the bulk of the flying from LHR and a large proportion from LGW is on new-ish Airbuses.

BA had the biggest investment in long haul a few years back when they bought 57 B747-400s and 45 B777s to replace all the classic B747s / DC10s / TriStars. The oldest B744s are due for replacement soon and B77Ws have been ordered in the interim until the A380 arrives. I agree a WIP but the foundations are in and the work has begun.

To say that BA treats economy passengers like scum is rubbish. I have *never* flown up front in my life except when buying a late ticket on the Shuttle. I am generally amidhsips or down the back and the service I find to be pretty damn good.

Taking out the hysteria, once this mess is out of the way, and it *IS* survivable, BA will have new aircraft arriving, Terminal 5C up and running and even the possibility of Runway 3 underway at LHR. ( if you really believe the Tories policy let me remind you what the current definition of a politician reads like ).

There are two issues killing them slowly. T/ Cs of LHR cabin crew which are way beyond market rates, and the pension fund deficit. Just don't chuck the baby out with the bathwater !

At the moment, I am really confused whether BA short haul is a premium or budget product and as I connect from abroad, it is only too easy to fly Star Alliance as an alternative.
In the UK wouldn't that be BMI who are in a worse mess as to inconstent product? As for Swiss, the service up the back is worse than BA, perhaps on the other side of the curtain it excels but not in economy.

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 25th May 2009 at 19:10.