PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - NATS Pay negotiations - latest rumours
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:02
Northerner

Naughty but Nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Hart,

I know things have been c**p where you work (as they are in many places). I don't doubt for a second that you feel badly treated and unrecognised. I wasn't disputing that. Nor can I help what has happened. I don't need to check up on you with others to believe what you say and feel about the situation where you work and with ATSA's generally.

I also know that wherever there are ATCO's there are greedy, self centered, selfish, unthinking individuals, as there are anywhere there are people. There are also plenty who are not. I'm fairly certain for instance, that you wouldn't lump Gonzo in with those others who don't care?

You say: "They all say we're a vital part of the team, but consistently refuse to do anything more than just spout rhetoric"
Okay. What do you want them/us to actually do? I, personally, would happily forgo any payrise if I thought it would save the jobs of the many ATSA's who won't be here in a few years, but I'm realistic too - that wouldn't happen - the jobs will go anyway. If there is something we can do other than sympathise/empathise then tell us.

"Some of these colleagues I've known for nearly 20 years, and I'm honoured to consider them as my friends outside of the work environment, but when we're inside the situation is changed - its the ATCOs and everybody else."

If that's the case, are these people really your friends? True friends would not change their spots in a differeing situation. Either they should be straight with you outside work about what they feel and what is happening even if it's not what you want to hear, or they should be with you inside work too.

I'm truly sorry that you have been let down so badly. I'm sorry things are the way there are at the moment. But there are people who do care about the ATSA's (which was my original point) and would do anything in their power to help them, and I'm one. And if you don't believe me, then ask one or two people who know me; like two of my best friends who are ATSA's, or my husband, who also is an ATSA, and will probably be out of a job in the next couple of years. Ask the ATSA's on my watch how I treat them. I'm not alone in caring about them. I may be in a minority, but I'm not alone.

Tar us all with the same brush if you want, but it's not going to win you the support you really need. You might think you won't get it anyway, but you won't know unless you try....

Cheers,
N

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to..."