PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vanguard
Thread: Vanguard
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:36
goofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhhhh.....Vanguards

And |I thought I was the only one who loved Vanguards. Greetings to fellow devotees.

Early memories...Renfrew/Heathrow/Palma in the early sixties. All night flights...sometimes with an IB Metropolitan for the return trip. No wonder I became a plane enthusiast.

Then hearing the last EDI/LHR of the day flying over my school. It took my imagination flying with it.

Later - the ill-fated G-APEC to LHR followed by the equally ill-fated G-ARPI to Brussels. Return by Sabena 727-100 OO-TSB and Comet G-APMG.

Later still - G-APEC again to Salzburg. Return in one of those fabulous "table" seats to admire Tynes at full chat against a backdrop of snowy Alps. It doesn't get much better.

And finally...a frosty, moonlit night in Kensington and the sight of an Elan Merchantmen turning finals. Not a bad farewell.

So please, Vanguard geeks, post your pics and memories. Your fellow Vanguardistas are out here!

Oh, and with respects to Electra buffs, NOTHING about the L-188 eclipses the aristocratic nose, clean-cut tail and exquisite sound of the 951 and 953.

Goofer