PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOM stall?
Thread: TOM stall?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009, 08:37
Starbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HarryMann

Training in loss-of-authority at full fwd stick >===> Re-trim nose down seems NOT to be effective, if it is being taught at all in low-thrust-line a/c type training.
Seems to be a bit of an afterthought, or sideline call-out in Boeings manuals too..
WHY?
I think you make a valid point here HM, about the training being a bit of an afterthought on Boeing's part. And this may be because this kind of situation was thought to be very unlikely, with the advent of aeroplanes with moveable stabilisers, unlike the older recognised phenomenon of "jet upset" on fixed tailplanes.. So recovery from unusual attitudes was required to be addressed perhaps only during initial training.

It seems that the pilots of this subject case, recalled only the very first step of the recovery procedure: Full down elevator but never considered reducing thrust and/or applying significant roll inputs, to get the nose to drop, as the elevators were completely ineffectual at that time.

Having said that, I know that this is definitely practised regularly, in some UK airlines as part of the 3 yearly cycle of items to be covered. But its possible that some trainers, companies and pilots don't really treat it seriously enough, because even they don't see it as really relevant on "modern" aeroplanes. Well, it's evident this is not the case.

It's relatively easy to set up the correct scenario in the simulator and with good briefings beforehand, pilots (and indeed trainers) can get a lot from these exercises and hopefully leave with a lot more confidence.

The other point I would make, is that even when training and practice does occur regularly, there is often no standard methodology and it is left to each individual TRI/TRE to devise the best method of how to achieve the upset or attitude in the first place. The recovery procedures themselves are taught in a standard way. This works ok to a degree but some pilots may miss out on seeing some very interesting situations.