PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Summer in the South East - Biplanes?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2009, 16:39
enq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Summer in the South East - Biplanes?

Afternoon All,

Sitting in a stuffy office on an uncomfortable leather seat & staring out into relatively clear skies I find my mind turning to the topic of things to do, flying wise, this summer.

With all my meagre experience, both pre & post PPL, thus far gained on fixed tricycle gear SEP's I think it's time to learn a few more skills - nothing too taxing but enough to keep me thinking about the basics of flying, possibly as a reaction to the 172 glass cockpit conversion & flying that I've been doing lately.

Anyhow, choosing to naively believe the forecasts of a long hot summer in the UK I thought it might be rather more comfortable to spend some of it in an open cockpit behind a large fan. That really is as far as my plan goes.

The objective is to gain a tail wheel and specific type conversion onto a biplane and having spent a little google time confirming my general level of ignorance I am erring towards time in a Tiger Moth.

I have two big holes in my knowledge here, which is why I am seeking to draw on the experience and knowledge of the forum users.

1.) Aircraft type options - what types are more commonly available to train on down here in the south east, pros, cons etc.

2.) Options for where to go to find training (google seems to give a number of organisations that no longer exist or have got rid of their aircraft)

To help me make a decision, and bearing in mind I am NOT a multimillionaire with the ability to take long trips very far away from the M25, I would be really interested to hear about any recent experiences that shed light on the points above and of course any pointers for other aspects to consider or just general observations on these types.

Look forward to reading some comments that can help me realise a day dream that is rapidly turning into an ambition.

Regards all, enq.