PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vanguard
Thread: Vanguard
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2009, 09:35
Geezers of Nazareth

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Vanguard memories

I can remember flying on a Vanguard a few times in the late 60s.

Pa worked for BEA and was elligible for cheap flights, so on two occasions we headed off to Malta for the Summer hols. This was 1967 and 1968, so just before the massive increase in 'bucket-n-spade' flights to the Costas.

In those days BEA had 4 flights a day to Malta, all operated non-stop by Vanguards. We were on the night flight, leaving Heathrow at about midnight, for a 4-hour flight to the Med on a Vanguard.

I remember that we travelled as a family, so we were allocated seats together ... and it was a block of seats around a table ... three seats facing forward, and three seats facing backwards. I've never seen such a seat arrangement on another aircraft (but I never flew in Viscounts, did they have them like this?).

Some memories from the flights ...

looking out of the window at the red wings.
my brother looking green and unwell throughout the flight ... as soon as the food tray was placed in front of him he immediately threw-up all over it!
the Pilot announcing over the PA as we flew past Mont Blanc, visible in the moonlight below us.
stepping out of the aircraft at 4am in Malta and feeling liked I'd been smacked in the face by a steaming towel.

The return flight was also at night. But the refuellers in Malta were on strike, so after dis-embarking the inbound passengers the aircraft flew off to Tripole for refuel, then back to Malta to pick-up passengers, then back to London. I was scared because I thought we wouldn't have enough fuel!