PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it time to rethink our role as a "military power"?
Old 20th May 2009, 12:10
Yeoman_dai

Location: See that little island just above France? Yeah, there...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this shall be my last post on this subject, but i'm a spotter, and so a few equipment points

Leo II - Chally has a better armour and off road capability, as well as sighting systems. The only reason other countries buy it is Chally is expensive and isn't as cheap to run over an extended period of time as Leo.

Colt Commando isn't - barrel is too short = low velocity = poor killing power from a 5.56 cartridge, as well as using the 'wrong' action, meaning its unreliable. Steyr, yes, getting a little old now, and isn't as reliable as the new A2 - although yes, Roadster good point but H&K was owned by us when they fixed it, it got changed to German ownership afterwards.

Nurse, you're thinking of BOXER MRAV there - which was a waste of time. FRES is something completely different, it is a program rather than a particular vehicle (the vehicle chosen being the Piranha) and a critical aspect of British Defense as it is the program to replace our really old FV430/2 fleet, among others.

Not that its anything to do with aviation, of course.

Nurse makes a good point about the Commonwealth - how about it chaps, the United States of the Commonweath, a single entity state! WOuld be pretty darn rich, plenty of space, global reach so they'd be forced to fund defense, and it would be a good excuse to reform our systems. I think i'm onto something here, now I just need to become Prime Minister...