PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA to get 30% rise
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2001, 12:53
Pandora

So BA are trying to rouse the green-eyed monster in its ranks. Not so long ago I did a quick poll in my work environment and I found out the following:

The dispatcher earns more than me.
The engineer earns more than me.
The tug driver earns more than me.
The refueller earns more than me.
The CSD earns more than me.
Half of the cabin crew earn more than me.

I know I am new(-ish) but I reckon that if BA were to publish a list of salaries across the range of workers there would always be people earning more than pilots no matter how senior a captain you are. Most of the top end earners never even see an aircraft except to travel club to their exotic team building exercise destination. (BA were keen to show various managers recently in the News having fun on a camel in Dubai. Yes, really. Now that's what I call work.)

Now I love my job. But I believe we should be paid for what we do. I am writing this at the moment from standby, BA can call me at the drop of a hat. If I am not called I will spend the rest of the day filling in my fleet technical questionnaire and revising for my upcoming SEP quiz and sim check. If I am called any plans I may have made months ago will have to be dropped while I go to work. In the last year I have missed Christmas with my family, a relative and a friend's wedding, 2 christenings and a holiday with old friends. I still love my job, but the friends I left university with now earn double my salary, work Mon-Fri and get bank holidays off. From the media they have the idea that we are all drunk layabouts with overinflated egos who earn too much. I am happy enough at the moment to be paid what I get to fly, but I want to be able to aspire to a life of comfort a salary which compensates for the disruption to home life and the level of skill and knowledge we have to maintain and demonstrate on a regular and frequent basis.

BA needs to realise that all the managers in Waterside won't save them if the front line staff decide enough is enough.

Rant over.