PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keep clear of controlled airspace!
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2009, 15:39
Standard Noise
StandupfortheUlstermen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Also, in my opinion, any infringing pilot who is traced and it can be proved that they were responsible should have their flying licence immediatly removed!!!
As others have said, would you expect the same rule to apply to ATCOs who make operational errors ? If not, why not ? The effects on air safety due to the ATCO error could be exactly the same. Maybe YOUR licence would be pulled some day and your job lost.
But that's just the point, in the UK, an ATCOs who perform below the level which is required can have their licence suspended and/or removed if grounds are found to warrant such an outcome. Why should it be any different for GA pilots whose performance is below an acceptable level?
My livelihood as an ATCO depends on continuing good performance in my chosen profession. A bank manager/road sweeper/kitchen fitter etc who flies for fun has no such worry. I can lose my licence if my performance is not up to scratch. However, there seems to be little regulation or penalties for bad performance visited upon the 'weekend fliers' out there.