PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stroppy First Officers - CRM issue
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2009, 08:50
low n' slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try my method.
I don't know if you have any hotel stops or similar, you'll need it to work as I would never try this in the cockpit!

Make a list of all the times when he's exhibited bad behaviour or a crappy attitude. List what he did and how it made you feel. If there were any safety breaches as a result, point these out.

Ask if he's up for a beer after a couple of sectors. Set the trap.

Grease him up and ask him about his previous flying career. Ask him what made him want to become a pilot. Ask him his defenition of a good pilot.
Point it out to him the few up-sides you see in him, perhaps handling and theoretical knowledge are some points.

Then you ask if he's willing to take some critique. If he's not, then just dont say anything. If he is willing (which he will be, it's the golden rule, if you ask, he has to say yes to not automatically look like an idiot and he knows it), methodically go through your list. Thoroughly explain what he did and how it affected safety. Make him understand that he's far from his goals of being a good pilot. Let him know that he indeed has a problem with the CRM concept. Explain that he needs to be more autentive and listen to people around him.

If I understand this person correctly from your description, he's much like one of our more senior pilots. He's very good in that he can actually fly the plane. He has the capacity, but not the rest. He's an absolute ae to fly with and to simply suggest something, you need a good and solid plan to put forth this suggestion. You have to make him think that it's his idea from the start. That's the point of making him think about what a good pilot is.
Silent battles in the form of not letting him fly or just treating him with the same attitude never gets you anywhere.

Personally I don't think this type of person should ever make it through flight school, but with todays "pay for you job" thing going on, anyone will make it through. Then it is up to the more senior colleagues to provide a professional upbringing. It is your role as a captain to provide constant instruction, even in the more softer matter such as this. Best way to do this is in a relaxed setting without the uniform. That gives him a way out and he won't feel pressured and this in turn may lead to him actually thinking about his behaviour. I expect he does not have any amount of self critique whatsoever and this is basically where the problem lies. His view of himself does not match reality and this is what needs to change. He has to be made aware of his behaviour. With awareness, half the battle is won.

I don't know who said it first, but my definition of a good pilot is: a pilot that allways strives to be better.