PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA to get 30% rise
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2001, 23:46
High Volt

Union action in this country has been non existent since the miners were broken (unless you can remind me of anything i've missed!). Since then you were made to feel like a social leper if you actually decided to stand your ground. I'm not defending the actions of the miners, I'm merely pointing out that union's evolved for a reason and perhaps we are facing a scenario in our industry where we must rediscover their worth. When we ditched the coal industry there was an alternative non union source of energy - nuclear power.

However, here are we as pilots facing a boom in air travel with the potential for lots of lovely money to be made. With the last 15-20 years dominated by bean stealing accountancy practices re: training overheads coupled with a retirement bulge and a dwindling military who is carrying the big stick?

The real currency over the next decade will be experienced jet pilots. It is time to re-assert our position and if that means aeroplanes sitting on the ground then so be it. A few thousand millions of pounds of real estate sitting on the ground earning no interest let alone profit is a real double whammy.

PS: I nearly forgot to say how nausiating I find Stelzer. I note that he publishes his e-mail address and I have subsequently fired off a bolt of vitriol! It would be nice if everyone else followed suit.

[This message has been edited by High Volt (edited 09 June 2001).]