PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stroppy First Officers - CRM issue
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2009, 22:46
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my estimation, command is not about telling your F/O when to start down (unless it is getting to the point where). It`s an opportunity to teach.
It`s not about ordering the F/O to wear a tie during the flight or that his or her shoes need shining. It`s an opportunity to help your F/O elevate his professional appearance to a whole new level.
It`s not about commanding the F/O how far to deviate for thunderstorms (unless the F/Os idea of a deviation is unsafe or inadequate). It`s an opportunity to share your WX knowledge and experience.
These examples are all part of your commanders roles and responsibilities. Having an argument over it on the flightdeck isn`t the solution and neither is giving your F/O the cold shoulder.

Command IS about ensuring the FPLN is accurate and correct. If not, ordering up a new one is a command decision AND as such falls under the command authority of the aircraft commander.
Command IS about ensuring sufficient fuel is on board to safely conduct the flight. Otherwise, ordering up additional fuel (or perhaps ordering that the aircraft gets a defuelling) falls under the authority of the aircraft commander.
Command IS about making sure the weather along the route is flyable and the chosen FPLN alternates are properly assigned.
Command is also recognizing when the filing of a new or revised FPLN may be required when flow control or slot assignments are in effect.
Informing your operations control when it is your opinion the flight needs to be delayed.
This is exercising command.

My impression of this thread, while it`s an excellent dialogue, is that personality conflict on the flight deck (unless I`ve gotten the stroppy context all wrong) is handled by telling/ordering/commanding the F/O who`s the boss and who should be told in clear uncertain terms who`s the commander (perhaps tapping on your Captains epaulets might go a long way to shorten the discussion, but that doesn`t work for me). Some of these notions are simply outside the bounds of command and what makes a good PIC. IMHO

It`s when an F/O flies with a Captain who hasn`t figured out the difference between the two that these stroppy F/Os usually get their dander up.
You might also reverse that by saying when a Captain flies with an F/O who hasn`t figured out the difference between the two....

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 17th May 2009 at 23:12.