PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot voluntary redundancy
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2009, 08:09
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually i hadn't just got back from the pub, and i know alot about commercial life - i haven't spent my whole life at the front of an aircraft, so why don't you think before you throw insults and actually read what I wrote.
I did not suggest the BA, nor anyone else should have restricted their expansion 'just in case'. Of course they had to react to the market, but the plain fact of the matter is that the market was a bubble, not part of the normal economic cycle and they are now too 'fat' for the current and ongoing market, hence the need to react to the current market in a different way. Of course the fact that BA are considerably more effiicient than many other companies and the airlines industry as a whole is also more efficient than alot of industries means that this is merely a bit of pain rather than fatal.

All recessions recover? hmmm, suggest you go and ask the Japanese what they think about that one? or any Germans born in the 20's and 30's just to cite 2 examples.
The Japanese stock market is still less than 30% of where it was 25 years ago - some recovery!
Of course the UK will probably recover - but a recovery that takes 30 years, whilst technically a recovery is no use to me! There is still considerable debate amongst those that know what they are talking about (IMF, world banks etc) about wether the UK will really recover from this recession or wether the economy will stabalise at a different (lower) level of equilibrium further down the global league table, so I wouldn't go around waving the flags just yet