PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Fraud in Cairo
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2009, 16:59
CLEANCRUISER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Credit Card Fraud

Thanks for this post, as it has answered my question i was asking myself for the past 8 months.

I too am a victim of this Cred Card Fraud issue. I now recalled visiting Cairo last year and checked in at Sheraton on the nile, here they insisted I provide a credit card, which I was not very happy about but was convinced/forced into, in order to be checked in. I used my company credit card in doing so.

Having spent 2 nights there, and returning back home to Europe, about 1 month later. I then got a call from the Bank to confirm my card details and my last place of travel. As i confirmed with them, they said that was used just 2 weeks ago in USA, and an amount of US$8,000 was spent. The bank then confirmed with me that my credit card number was actually copied and a copy/replica was made under a female name, in the States. The bank, thankfully, said they will cancell my card and investigate into the fraud as this was becoming a common practice when Credit Cards were used overseas. There is a scam running overseas where the scammers have discrete agreements with certain retail/hotel outlet employees and pay them to copy the credit card numbers and send overseas to the USA in some sort of way.

This is unbelievable, and thankyou once again, as you have, i believe cracked the case for me.

Guys be weary when abroad/downroute as it is a big proble with plastic cards. I was fortunate enough that the bank did not ask me to pay for the mis use.

Safe flying!!!