PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 16th May 2009, 16:13
dartagnan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airlines make money in summer and winter, during a good time.
But now,I expect airline to start filing bankrupt right after summer for lack of cash. Waiting for next christmas in a hope that recession will end, is a long run and a dream.
do you know how much lose BA every day ? a lot....
all airlines are losing money...
TRTO's in my point of view are already dead and many wanabes will lose their cash! pay as you go, cuz I have lost money already. (not a lot, so I didn't care, but I lost money!)

GLOBAL PREMIUM AIR TRAVEL DEMAND
Global premium ticketed demand plummeted at an even faster pace in February 2009, falling by 21.1%, following a 16.7% decline in January. Even allowing for the extra day in February 2008, which would require a 3-3.5% adjustment, the pace at which demand is contracting has deteriorated.

The pace of decline in economy demand also accelerated, falling from 4.7% to 8.3%. However, after adjustment, the two months’ performances are broadly similar, reflecting some benefit from business passengers trading down.

Among the large premium markets, Asia was the weakest performer, with demand falling by 26.4%, its third consecutive month with demand contracting at a similarly poor level.

The performance of the North Atlantic segment has shown a concerning and marked deterioration, with the 22.5% decline comparing unfavourably with falls of 14.5% and 8.8% in January 2009 and December 2008 respectively. This reflects the pace at which the US and European economies have contracted in recent months. As the business travel sector is normally among the first to show signs of revival, with a recovery in international trade likely to lead any recovery, signs that the downturn in the economy may be close to bottoming out should auger well for premium demand during the second half of 2009.

Travel within Africa remained the only region to deliver premium demand growth in February, although the rate of growth has been sharply curtailed from 18.9% in January to just 2.8%, and this does remain a very small market.

The slowdown in the rate of demand contraction in the Europe-Far East market, from 21.2% in January to 19.6% in February (excluding the Leap Year adjustment) may be interpreted as an early sign that a floor in the major markets could now be close.

-------------------

Our vision is to be the world’s leading global premium airline and the airline of choice for millions of people across the world. But we are facing major financial difficulties. The deepening recession is being felt everywhere and more than 30 airlines have gone bust. At the same time, we’re seeing our competitors improving their products and becoming stronger through new alliances.

We need to take action now in order to become more competitive and to safeguard the future of BA. We must continue to invest in new fleet, products and services and we need to work better together.

Last edited by dartagnan; 16th May 2009 at 16:27.